Monday, June 6, 2022

"The School for Good Mothers" by Jessamine Chan

The School for Good MothersThe School for Good Mothers by Jessamine Chan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'm going to give this ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️, but not because I loved it....it scared me too much. I admire the story this author crafted - she took upsetting dystopia to a new level and it was very upsetting.

This rocked me more than The Handmaid's Tale, perhaps because I could relate more directly. What mother hasn't done things she regretted, wished to take something back or re-do a moment, letting that regret keep her up at night? I know I have. Jessamine Chan creates a society just a little off from our own, where such mistakes (or even ones very minor) can sever your parental rights forever.

The narrator did a fantastic job of bringing Freda to life for me. Her personality, shaped by rigid Asian parents, was fully shaped in the narration of the character. Little bits of humor shone through in dark moments. Her personal connections with other "students" and her unrelenting drive to get back to Harriet rounded her out even more. The love she ended up having for her doll, Emmanuelle.

I am certain someone will option this and create a movie or television series. It's perfect for that.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment