Friday, May 20, 2022

"Carrie Soto is Back," by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Carrie Soto Is BackCarrie Soto Is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was SO excited when I discovered a new book was coming from Taylor Jenkins Reid. Then, when I saw the title, I couldn't place Carrie Soto in my recollection for previous novels. It turns out that she was only a mention and a side character in "Malibu." But she becomes a full and memorable character quickly.

Carrie is a tennis phenom, thanks to her father Javier who was once a gifted tennis player himself but realizes his full potential as Carrie's coach after her mother dies young. They are a close father-daughter duo, but from the outside looking in, it's painful to see young Carrie singing for more of a connection to her mother and her softer side, denied by Javier. There is no shortage of love, but the end result is that Carrie hardens to most emotions that aren't about tennis and her drive to be the absolute best.

It is an entertaining read to go on this journey with Carrie. After the first third of the book, I felt a little dismay that so much of it was about tennis, but the second and third parts of the book develop her character fully and we are invested and immersed in her journey to the top....and beyond.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment