Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Stay Up with Hugo Best by Erin Somers

Stay Up with Hugo BestStay Up with Hugo Best by Erin Somers
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Thank you to Scribner and Simon & Schuster for the opportunity to read and review this book in advance of publication. I wasn't ready to part with June and Hugo just yet, but I enjoyed the brief time I spent with them.

June, an assistant for a late-night show that has just ended its stint, ends up spending a weekend with Hugo, the revered star and her long-time celebrity crush. June is also a comedienne at heart and her internal dialogue -- as well as her external one -- is pretty humorous.

June and Hugo have a lopsided relationship and for me, it was unclear at times who had the power, so to speak. While Hugo could certainly do things to help June financially and with her career, June had the ability to boost Hugo's confidence and ego, which he really needed at times.

I felt the ending was somewhat abrupt and had hopes until the very last paragraph that there would be one more interaction between them, but, alas! It doesn't always work out that way, really.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment