Wednesday, February 6, 2019

The Daughters of Temperance Hobbs by Katherine Howe

The Daughters of Temperance HobbsThe Daughters of Temperance Hobbs by Katherine Howe
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Thank you to Henry Holt & Co. for the opportunity to read and review this book in advance of publication!

It was fun to revisit the world of Deliverance Dane and descendants. I loved the history of Salem, Marblehead and surrounding areas. The idea of finding artifacts and clues in a generational family home was enticing. However, I found that the believability (yes, I realize that I'm talking about witchcraft here) fell apart in the last few chapters. The scenes when the "recipe" comes together were too fantastical. But all in all, I liked it.

One pet peeve though, the use of the word "slurp" to describe a grown woman, a Professor no less, each time she consumes a beverage is really irritating. Unless she's ACTUALLY making slurping sounds every time she drinks these sodas and coffees....please, don't.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment